Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Christmas Cookie Week - Peanut Butter Chocolate Bars


I wanted to make a new recipe for some bars to go with the Christmas cookies I was baking, so when I saw this recipe in the Kraft magazine, I thought they looked good.  

Peanut butter and our family go together like monkeys and bananas, like a wink and a smile, like ..., well like peanut butter and chocolate.  My father took a peanut butter sandwich to work for lunch every day of his teaching career.  Yep, that is an affection for peanut butter.  

These bars are delicious and easy to make.  I'm not convinced they need to be cooked in the foil, but I did what I was told and made them that way.  I changed a few things - like less salt; peanut butter without sugar or salt instead of peanut butter with honey; chocolate chips instead of chopped chocolate; and melted chocolate drizzled over the top with sprinkles to make them look festive.


Ingredients:
1 cup flour
3/4 cup quick-cooking oats
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup butter or margarine
3/4 cup peanut butter
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup white sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1 square semi-sweet chocolate to melt and drizzle over the top after they are baked

Method:
1. Heat oven to 350F
2. Line a 9 x 13 pan with foil extending the ends of the foil over the sides and spray with cooking oil
3. Beat the butter, peanut butter, and sugars together in a large bowl. 
4. Add the egg and vanilla and mix well
5.  Add the flour, oats, and baking soda and mix well
6. Stir in the chocolate chips and cranberries
7.  Press gently into the bottom of the pan
8.  Bake for 20-22 minutes or until the centre is set.  Cool completely in the pan before cutting into bars.






Linked to Foodie Friday at Rattlebridge Farm

7 comments:

  1. I usually remove salt from most baking recipes and feel there is no negative result. Wow, your dad took peanut butter to school as a teacher... imagine today with all the concerns in schools around peanut allergies. :)
    I love the addition of dried cranberries in this recipe. They look good.
    Oh, and I am avoiding weighing myself this week. I have this nasty habit of tasting absolutely everything that I bake....everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the little snowflake sprinkle you added. I have been enjoying your Cookie Week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look great Grace! The snowflake sprinkles make them perfectly festive! And I agree...nothing better than peanut butter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look so incredible! I did a peanut butter chocolate combo today too. I can't get enough of it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now this is one that I can eat, if I substitute the sugar for honey! Thank you, I will pin this one too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shanley wants to bake these.....PB and chocolate are a match made in cookie heaven..... *le sigh*.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Peanut butter and chocolate would disappear from this house in no time at all! They look so good! Angie xo

    ReplyDelete