Saturday, September 14, 2013

Today is Bouquet Day


This week's bouquet is a mix of flowers from the garden (the roses), berries from shrubs and trees in the garden (high bush cranberry and ornamental crab), and weeds (the Queen Anne's lace). I was so happy to see a few roses lingering on the bushes that I decided to design the whole bouquet around them. Lots of the leaves at this time of the year are mottled and chewed up and even turning colours, but you take what you can get.  

I like the pink roses with the dark red berries (and even the occasional red tinge in the leaves) and especially like how the tablecloth echoes those shades.  I used a thrift store white milk glass vase to display the flowers as I thought the strong colours needed the balance of white.



I love the homeyness of gingham tablecloths. I have quite a few different colours now - thank you thrift stores. This one is a more recent find and I was drawn to the retro daisy border along the edge.  



Our table is almost 100 years old and is an unusual size (44x54 inches) so it is difficult to find tablecloths that fit well. One of the ways I deal with the problem (especially when it comes to the random sizes and shapes you find in a thrift store) is by buying square cloths and turn them on an angle.

I hope you are having a lovely weekend.  And happy pink and red day to you all (I just made that up, but wouldn't it be a fun day)!

4 comments:

  1. Oh so pretty! And I just love your tablecloth. I have to admit I am a tablecloth addict. Everywhere I go I grab them up. Aren't they great? Kit

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty bouquet, and I love the colors in it and the tablecloth. :D

    I hope you're having a wonderful Sunday!

    xo,
    RJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great mix in your bouquet -- a beautiful bridge between seasons.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love this. The berries are my favorite but the whole thing is perfect. I know Queen Anne's Lace is considered a weed but I really love it. It grew in the back yard of our old house...among other weeds!

    ReplyDelete