Monday, September 9, 2013

Scrumptious Sandwich #2


I have a confession to make.  I ate cheese and marmalade sandwiches every day last year at work for lunch. They were perfect. They were quick to make with only two ingredients. The cheese and marmalade don't go bad unrefrigerated on a hot day. The sandwich complies with the peanut-free rules we have in our schools. And most important of all - they are delicious!!!


I got the idea to pair cheese and marmalade from the book The Girl with the Dragon TattooI noticed that they were always drinking coffee and eating sandwiches in the book and not just any sandwiches, but often ones which had unusual combinations of ingredients. Apparently I'm not the only one who noticed the frequent eating and drinking - check out this blog that lists all the food mentioned in the book and this one that lists how frequently the words 'coffee' and 'sandwich' are used. 

I was intrigued when I read about combining cheese with marmalade.  
She got up and took a shower in no particular hurry, and ate a breakfast of toast with cheese and marmalade and a coffee. (pg 284)
I thought that the tanginess of the marmalade would probably taste great with cheddar cheese (kind of like a relish or chutney) so I tried it and was hooked. For the photos I toasted the bread and made them open-faced sandwiches (very Swedish, I know), but at work I just make an ordinary sandwich. 


 

My last Scrumptious Sandwich was a delicious (and relatively normal) tomato and cream cheese sandwich, which you can see here. This weeks is a little more out there. Any one brave enough to try it? Despite eating cheese and marmalade sandwiches all year, it was only this week that I finally got Jonathan and Malcolm and Christie to give it a try. And guess what - they liked it!

I bought some fancy cranberry pumpkin seed bread and old cheddar cheese for the photos and, man, did those upgrades ever make a difference. They took the sandwich to a whole new level. Who knew?

What about you?  Any strange sandwich combinations that you like?

6 comments:

  1. Not for me! I have never liked marmalade.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooooh! This sounds delicious. I can't wait to try it. I love marmalade (a nod to my British Grandmum) and I adore cheese (a big bonjour to the rest of my French family).

    When I used to have formal teas (not recently, sad to say), in addition to cucumber sandwiches, I always made finger sandwiches with thinly sliced ham on whole wheat bread. One slice of bread had a grainy, Dijon-style mustard and the other had a jam/jelly of choice (marmalade, peach, currant, etc.). Everyone loved them. Give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That does sound good. But, every day? Seriously? I wish I could do that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheese and marmie.....YUM! I think it sounds like a great snack (or lunch). I haven'r read that series yet, but if I do I'll look out for the fun sandwich combos! Thanks for the links, Grace!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you ever have cheese and mango chutney? That's one of my favourites.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Try thinly sliced cheddar and strawberry jam on an everything lasted bagel. Yummy

    ReplyDelete