Sunday, March 4, 2012

Ukrainian Easter Egg Photoshoot

I was recently contacted by Ladies Home Journal to use the photo below in an article about blogger's Easter eggs.  


You can imagine my excitement - I have always wanted to have a photograph published in a magazine.  However, the photo they had selected was taken a few years ago and I had intended to take some new ones of our Ukrainian Easter eggs this year with my new camera.  So a few weeks ago I got out some of my springish tablecloths and my camera and the Ukrainian Easter eggs (officially called Pysanky) that we have made over the years and had a wonderful time doing a photo-shoot.  It took me a few hours and a few hundred photos until I had taken every possible combination I could think of - but then again that is my idea of fun.  


I ended up with so many photos that I was having a difficult time deciding which one were the best so I emailed Kat from Low Tide High Style to get her opinion.  Being both a professional photographer and a kind soul she took the time to let me know her opinion.  The six photos below are my favourites (and Kat's).  I'm curious to know which one you like best and I'll show you at the end of the post the one that was chosen by Ladies Home Journal.







I sent these photos off to the magazine and let them choose and this is the one that was selected:




You can go here to see the other amazing eggs that were included in this post.  There are some very creative ideas in the article, some of which I just might have to make.  


The photo will also be in the April 2012 issue of Ladies Home Journal, although I haven't seen it yet as I could only find the March one on display in the stores in my area.  I'm pretty excited to see a photograph of mine in a real honest to goodness paper magazine.  There will be a happy dance in the magazine aisle at Loblaws in a week or so!





Pin It

Linked to Sunday Showcase at Under the Table and Dreaming,
Spring and Easter Holiday Party at Holiday Haven

11 comments:

  1. Congratulations!!!!! The eggs are so beautiful.....great pics too :o)
    ~Des

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are stunning!! I have always admired your photography! Uh...one problem though....I am thinking that I need to quickly bury my recent post on Easter Egg painting. Well, actually if you don't mind perhaps I will just re-direct people over here to see how it is really done!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful! I am so happy for you! Congrats Grace! What a wonderful feeling of personal accomplishment for you! I will have to look out for the magazine and show all my friends and say "Look! My blogger friend took this photo!" Did you get a logo from them that you can feature on your blog?
    You go girl! Angie xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY! They were all such good photos I'm sure the magazine had a tough time deciding too! Great job, and congratulations!!!

    Kat :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, how cool! I liked #2 and #6 ... guess that is why I don't work at a magazine, lol. Congratulations.

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are gorgeous! I like photo #3 and #5, but I pinned #3 because it was the most dramatic! Thank you so much for joining the Holiday Haven party :) I have pinned and tweeted this lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love all or your shots. It just goes to show how many different variations you can make up, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How on earth did the magazine choose from all your gorgeous photos? I like all of them! Congratulations, Grace!

    ReplyDelete