Sunday, October 31, 2010

Power Tool Pumpkins and Other Easy Hallowe'en Decorations

Hallowe'en is pretty low-key in our house these days with everyone a teenager or beyond.  We did get into the action a little bit though.

Hallowe'en threw up all over our living room window.


We decorated our front hall with a flag, a cauldron of candy ready to hand out, and


our ghost!  We put him up every year and the kids love it.  It was my husband's idea to put a white duvet over a step ladder, add black construction paper eyes and a mouth, and light it with a black light.  Ingenious!


The only one wearing a costume this year was Juno - and we really weren't sure what she was dressed up as.


As for the pumpkin we had to get creative.  When your younguns grow up into teenagers, they may or may not want to carve pumpkins any more.  That's when you move on to using power tools!  Using a drill puts a whole new spin (get it - spin!!!) on pumpkin carving - a good spin if you are a teenager.  Actually a good spin if you are me as well, because then I don't have to do the carving and we get an interesting pumpkin to put out for Hallowe'en.

I have to say that I thought the term "power tool pumpkins" was one I had invented until I read this post on Rambling Renovators blog, which referred to this post written in October 2009.  Their original post was written in my pre-blog days, so I have to say that I likely owe the inspiration and term to them.  It is a much loved tradition now.


 


Trust Martha to take pumpkin drilling to a whole new level.  Her power tool pumpkins are very creative, but I'm thinking Martha hasn't put a teenager boy in charge of making them.



 All images from Martha Stewart
  
Hope everyone had a fun Hallowe'en.  Do tell how the pumpkin carving went in your house.  Any ingenious costumes visiting your house this year?

 



Linked to the 2010 Hallowe'en Pumpkin Party Parade at Under the Table and Dreaming

5 comments:

  1. Great post! And yes, Martha hasn't put a lot of teenagers in charge of anything!! LOL! Halloween is pretty low key here too! Have a great week! Angie xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Martha Stewart is such a show off :) We didn't do much here for Halloween either since my soon to be 14 yr old thinks he's too grown up for it. You did way more than we did. The "threw up" all over the window made me chuckle. That's hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the ghost!! And your power tool pumpkins are a great idea. There was no pumpkin carving at my house and no trick or treaters I'm sad to say. That's what you get when you live in the boonies down a dark private lane. Makes me sad though! Glad you had a fun Halloween!

    Kat :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw those pumpkins in the last issues of Martha and loved them! There's something about neat little rows that plays into my senses. But I agree, she likely does not put a teenage boy in control of her pumpkins. Haha. Your son did a great job though. It looks like you guys had a good Halloween!

    ReplyDelete