Thursday, September 9, 2010

Agendas and Hard-drives and Desks, Oh My!

I know you are all very excited to know that I bought my agenda yesterday.  So let me introduce my new 2010-2011 agenda in a lovely shade of blue.  Exciting, I know!  I've done well for the last 4 years - before that it was mostly black, or navy, or other somber colours.  Having a pretty agenda makes me smile all year so it is certainly worth finding a nice one.  Anyone else obsess over their agendas?  There now I've accomplished one of my favourite fall things.


I also bought myself an external hard-drive as I have been concerned about losing my photos.  I was told that I should be able to store about 40,000 photos on this one, so I think I'm good for awhile anyway.


Since I'm going to be getting my photos in ship-shape orderliness, it has also come to my attention that my desk looks - well - less than stellar.  As some of you know a photo of my desk was recently posted on Centsational Girl's blog in her article about where we blog


Now don't get me wrong - I'm flattered and all, but did you notice how purty my fellow blogger's desk-in-a-closet looked as opposed to mine? Here's a closer look:

Although my desk papers are sorted, my organizational style is to leave files out so I can find them again.  While this may be handy, the overall look leaves something to be desired.   


Sooo, I've made it my goal to make my desk look both cute and functional.  I'm open to suggestions.  I'll let you know how it goes as I progress.

10 comments:

  1. Love the color of your new day book and your space is gorgeous... At least you can see the desk!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the color of your new agenda! Mine is black...but I need a new one so maybe I'll find something prettier, they always seem to come in black or brown though!

    My desk is a huge mess at the moment, and yours is way cuter! And we just bought an external hard drive too! Lesson learned after being struck by lightning!

    Kat :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it funny how we sometimes see things differently just because of a photo? (I have to wonder how much editing was done in the other space for the photo. Because I do that. A lot.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I was busy enough to justify such a cute agenda! I like the bright color trend. I NEED an external hard drive for my pictures too--I lay awake nights worrying that my computer will crash and I will have lost 3 years of my boys' lives! Thanks for the inspiration. Can't wait to see your spiffed up desk!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A picture speaks a 1,000 words, is the quote I use when sure but, I do love the color of your desk area. I was just thinking about an agenda today and there you show some in such preeetttyy colors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I obsess a bit about my agenda too. I have used the same type for the last 3 years and this year I couldn't find it. It took me a while but I finally found one very similar. Others tell me I don't need one and I should just use an iPhone or whatever but I have to have the old-fashioned paper and pen. The motor act of writing helps me remember things.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love to organize! I really like your office area. It is so pretty with that paper.

    You might be a piler, like my sister. I am a filer. {I have a large filing cabinet with many specific files, all alphabetical and EVERYTHING gets filed right away. I know exactly where it is. This would not work for her. She prefers a quick and more general pile of papers. For example, all work related stuff in this pile, anything to do with running the house/bills/insurances in another pile. That way she knows where to find it quickly.} I tried to organize her home using my 'filer' personality for many years. It did not work for her. The pretty little file folders were mostly empty and they had one huge pile of papers. I switched her stuff to a 'piler' system and it is much better for them.

    You could use horizontal paper sorters (like multi level in out boxes) and shallow paper sized baskets with larger categories (more general) versus hanging file folders (more specific). Or, you could use the wall mounted sorters like in the other photo, just keep your categories fairly general (and labelled) so you can pop your stuff in (ie. all bills instead of breaking each bill down into sub categories.)Let me know if this doesn't make sense.

    Your games are great, I know why you have them, but could they go in another big basket or two up there? Still fairly easy to reach, but less visual clutter. If you need to access them quickly, stack them in the basket on their sides/ends so you can still see the game name and don't have to lift some out to get to the bottom ones.

    Okay, I'll stop now. I don't want you thinkin' I'm ocd or anything ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your little nook looks real and loved! Love the wallpaper. A-M xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aren't we a funny lot? I used to use the cupboard in the dining room as an office. If I can find a photo I'll put it on my blog. Mine never looked as homely as yours though. Very functional it was! Organised chaos!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your new planner. I, too, have used the same planner for the last 5-6 years or so. So smart of you to get the colour you want so early! Brilliant! Last year, I left picking up my planner so late (January) that I had to stomp all over the city looking for my fav! This year I picked it up a month ago...lesson learned!

    ReplyDelete